Hello, Everyone. After five years of being online, we’ve come to the difficult decision and conclusion that we will no longer be able to keep Cheers Virginia (formerly known as the Virginia Beer Trail) going in its current version. This basically means that while our website will be phased out, we'll continue to operate and focus on our Facebook page, Twitter, Untappd and Instagram accounts. This decision is based on a multitude of factors:
- First and foremost, two of us operate the site by ourselves without any additional assistance. One of us has a very young family who, understandably, deserves more of his time. The other one of us has two kids soon to be graduating from high school who keep him active with various school-related activities. We’ve decided that we would rather spend quality time with our families rather than trying to run a website which requires full-time attention and involvement.
- The two of us work full-time jobs outside of Cheers Virginia and those full-time jobs pay the bills and feed our families whereas Cheers Virginia does not. Since the site requires so much of our time, it’s become increasingly difficult to keep the site up to date throughout the day which obviously risks those very full-time jobs. We simply cannot afford to jeopardize our paying day jobs for a hobbyist site which makes zero to very little revenue.
- Over the years, the site has grown from a simple directory to a technically sophisticated portal which requires daily technical changes and updates. One of us is a professional Systems Administrator, however, at the risk of jeopardizing the paying full-time position, he simply cannot continue to work on the site during work hours.
- We have attempted to work with the various directory listing participants to raise enough capital to allow us to revamp the calendar area of the website but to no avail. This would have allowed participants to add their own events without our intervention, thus removing us as the bottlenecks. However, we receive zero responses to this request. We receive numerous requests for calendar entries and simply do not have the time to add them all.
- The site’s monthly expenses continue to grow and rise which ultimately affects our personal budgets and bottom lines. Because the site makes zero to very little revenue, we can no longer sustain supporting the site out of our own pockets.
- Finally, we’re just tired and we miss enjoying the whole point of VABT and Cheers VA which is to enjoy VA breweries and wineries without the pressure of keeping an online entity up to date.
We’d like to express our sincere appreciation and gratitude for those of you who have supported us over the years. We realize that when we first started this venture, it may grow beyond our control. We’ve reached that tipping point. We’ll figure out where we’ll go from here but wanted to thank you, our readers, supporters and friends over the years for helping to keep us going. Hopefully we’ll run into you very soon via our social media accounts and in person.